Today, I came across a thought-provoking definition of
Fear. Fear is perhaps the most
crippling emotion, robbing us of both our present and future. It steals dreams, stifles love, buries
forgiveness, and quarantines hope.
Fear is the one negative emotion mentioned throughout the Bible
repeatedly. The words, "Fear
not" appear in God's word 365 times; seemingly one for each day of the
year.
Reflect for a moment on how fear has infiltrated your life
and heart. Ask yourself,
"What am I afraid of and what does it cost me? What has it cost me and why did I allow fear to envelop my
life at certain times?"
As you do, consider this definition from an unnamed source:
"I am Fear. I am the menace that lurks in the paths
of life, never visible to the eye but sharply felt in the heart. I am the father of despair, the brother
of procrastination, the enemy of progress, the tool of tyranny.
Born of ignorance and
nursed on misguided thought, I have darkened more hopes, stifled more
ambitions, shattered more ideals and prevented more accomplishments than
history could record.
Like the changing
chameleon, I assume many disguises.
I masquerade as caution. I
am sometimes known as doubt or worry.
But whatever I'm called, I am still fear, the obstacle of achievement.
I know no master but
one; its name is Understanding. I
have no power but what the human mind gives me, and I vanish completely when
the light of Understanding reveals the facts as they really are, for I am really
nothing ... I am Fear."
If we find the courage to acknowledge our fears, we take the
first step to controlling those same fears. By taking this step, we open our hearts to understanding and
are able to move past our fears and press toward the higher forces in life such
as love and empathy and forgiveness, those forces that unleash hope and healing
and faith.


No comments:
Post a Comment