Daughters
My three beautiful daughters are doing remarkably well in
spite of all that's befallen their lives. God has protected and watched over
the girls. Shayne and Abby are seniors in high school, and I'm extremely proud
of these two young ladies. Both girls maintain a high GPA, and are very active
in their schools, involved in a variety of extracurricular activities from
student council to sports. They're making the most of their senior year.

Shayne is outgoing, adventurous, and possesses an endless
curiosity. That beautiful sense of wonderment has not waned through the years.
At times it scares me to death. She certainly knows how to keep me on my knees
in prayer. I speak to her throughout the week, and every time we talk, her
stories have me laughing, then worrying. She is a people person and has a
boundless world of friends. When I call, it seems she's always introducing me
to someone new. She'll just pass the phone, saying something like, "Meet
my Dad, he's awesome. Don't worry that he's in prison, it's a crazy
story." Next thing you know, I'm talking to her friends as if we've known
each other for years. That's just Shayne: fearless, bold, a free spirit, living
every minute to the full. She lives in the sunrise of life. Her personality
causes me to see the wider horizons, the wider berths. Like a beautiful sunrise
breaking across a violet sky, her wonderful spirit conveys the infinite power
of possibility.

Abby is more reserved and has a sweet, tender spirit. She is
polite, courteous, always giving thought to others, and loves God with all her
heart. She's a servant, going beyond the call of duty at her school and church.
Abby has a dry, quiet sense of humor. She is loyal and mature beyond her years.
If Abby's your friend, you'll have a friend for life. She also maintains a
carefree spirit, choosing not to worry about anything. She is a hard worker,
disciplined, and keeps her nose to the grind in her efforts. Abby's personality
causes me to see the extraordinary beauty that comes from a life engaged in
altruistic ideas. Like a million points of light twinkling in the black canopy
of night, her beautiful spirit sparks inspiration.
Abby and Shayne are resilient, having experienced wounds
their peers know little about. Life has been unfair to them. Selfish choices of
adults have fractured their hearts, clouded their sunshine. Yet, in that world
of cruelty, the girls did not become victims of their circumstances. Never did
they become bitter or hardened, or surrender to self-pity. They've determined
themselves to define the negative experiences. The innocent forms of their
lives, though wounded by deep cuts of pain, have survived and are now
blossoming. Those petals are unfolding, revealing two beautiful, talented, and
incredibly resilient young ladies.

Abby is hoping to attend Pepperdine, UC Davis, or the
University of Hawaii in the fall and desires to become a pediatrician. Shayne
has applied to NYU, Boston University, Loyola-Chicago, Hofstra, and USF,
aspiring to become a lawyer.
My youngest is Shelby and she is now eight. She's in the
third grade and growing up fast. She's extremely intelligent and very
articulate. Just like with the older girls, I miss my little bundle of life so
much. I have not seen her in nearly six years. Shelby's a little sweetheart.
Her personality is a combination of her two older sisters. We speak on the
phone two or three times a week, and our conversations center mainly on her
world. Sometimes, we take make-believe trips to different countries and cities.
Thus far, we've toured Los Angeles, New York, and London; Russia, Germany,
Mexico, and Switzerland. Shelby enjoys taking care of her pets, going to
church, playing games on her iPod and Nintendo DS. She was voted to her
school's student council, enjoys spending time with her sisters and friends,
and takes ballet lessons. This winter she'll perform in Sacramento's production
of "The Nutcracker Suite."
Unable to play the role of a conventional father, I try to
speak with one of the girls on the phone each day. I send cards, notes, and do
whatever I can to be a father from a difficult place. Yet, I'm well aware that
nothing will fill the cavernous void my physical absence brings to their lives.
Daughters need fathers who are present, who dote, comfort, encourage, guide,
embrace, and actively engage their lives and world. Every day, in my confined
space, I get down on my knees and ask God to make this happen for my girls, to
reunite us much sooner than expected. At night, in bed I brush their photos
against my lips, place them over my heart, and whisper to God to do a miracle
for us all.
When I think of my girls, it feels as though there is a
gaping hole in the middle of my heart. I've been absent from the most important
years of their young lives. Absent from the evening meals, the laughs, the
events, the accomplishments, the illnesses, the school days, from the long
string of simple rituals that make up a child's life. I've missed the beautiful
smiles in the morning, the innocence of discovery, the genuine wonder in their
eyes. I've missed the constant chatter that was in our home: the giggling and
screaming and crying and banging. I loved all the chaos the girls brought when
they were playing, living it up, having the time of their lives. I just loved
all that life. I loved being an active father: the sports, the bike rides, the
travels, the movies, the lake, the activities. I miss holding my girls. Nothing
ever fits a father's palm so perfectly, feels so right, or inspires so much, as
the hand of his child wrapped inside his hand. And nothing bring more comfort
and more hope and more security to a child than their little hand nestled
inside daddy's big hand.
Resulting from our own choices, and at times, the choices of
others, we all reach some sort of disenchantment in our lives. We arrive at
some place where we hoped for elation and fulfillment, but found desolation and
emptiness instead. And that locale is a very difficult place to live, to
understand, often void of answers. Events are upon you in an instant, unforeseen
and without warning, and sometimes marked by disappointment and tragedy. Yet,
landing at such a place can lead to a better understanding of the bittersweet
truth of life: Every human endeavor is collaboration. Even though life now is
not what I expected or imagined, I have experienced things these last few years,
which I never knew, existed. You lose a lot in an ordeal like this, but you
find a new you, a newfound belief in yourself and life's greatest treasures.
An African proverb says, "A person is a person through
other people." No man is an island. We do little on our own. We play a
role in the genesis of our own experience and in the experience of others. Deep
emotional currents move us all, marking our passage through life. There is
providence in every step we take. God gently walks by our side. He celebrates
our victories. He mourns with us in our defeats. He is there when we honor Him
with our choices; and He is still there when we dishonor Him. He is there for
one reason: He loves us unconditionally.
I have learned that in the darkest moments of my life, God has been here, even
when I thought He abandoned me. And I know that if God did not leave me in my
time of trouble, He will not leave you when you walk through your deepest
valley. If your facing adversity, overcome by failure, feeling hurt, keep
pressing toward God's plan for your life, seeking to live in a way that honors
him. Don't give up or give in. Love your family, your spouse, your children,
with all your heart. Hold nothing back. For they are your greatest treasure.


No comments:
Post a Comment